Country music and truck driving songs go hand in hand. Today I want to recognize all the truckers and one fellow you might meet on the road. This article is for Shoeshine.
Let’s take a visit over to Amazon, where we can hear all the songs on On the Road Again: 20 Great Truck Drivin’ Hits from various artists. The CD is from February 8, 2005 and you can hear it now. (If you get an Amazon message just poke around a bit.)
Here is the song list:
1. Six Days on the Road – Dave Dudley
2. I’m a Truck – Red Simpson
3. Give Me Forty Acres – Wills Brothers
4. C.B. Savage – Red Hart, Rod Hart
5. Endless Black Ribbon – Tiny Harris
6. Forty Miles of Bad Road – Duane Eddy
7. Man Behind the Wheel – George Morgan
8. How Fast Them Trucks Can Go – Claude Gray
9. Widow Maker – Jimmy Martin
10. California Turn-Arounds – Jack Greene
11. Looking at the World Through a Windshield – Del Reeves
12. Gear Jammer and the Hobo – Johnny Bond, Red Sovine
13. Roll, Truck, Roll – Red Simpson
14. Truck Driver’s Queen
15. Passing Zone Blues – Coleman Wilson
16. Truck Stop Cutie – The Willis Brothers
17. Where’s the Truck – Charlie Douglas, Dave Dudley
18. Rolaids, Doan’s Pills and Preparation H – Dave Dudley
19. Jackson – Jean Shepard, Red Sovine
I called Shoe Shine one day and I told him I recorded a CD with every possible version of “Truck Driving Man,” and he just laughed. I think it was the first time we ever talked, and thought it might be the last. I think it was more than he wanted to hear.
My country music library goes back almost fifty years. Truck driving songs are found on records, cassettes, and CD’s. Sorry, but I got rid of the 8-track tapes. Like all good country songs, truck driving songs bring back memories and are just as good today.
Your collection of truck driving songs might be different from the Amazon list, as is mine, but the songs will start the memories, and that’s what it’s really all about. The memories also include old friends. Shoeshine – keep it safe and may the miles be happy ones.